Tuesday, July 14, 2009

#1 Pound for Pound Fighter...PERIOD!

Hiya hiya

UFC 100 has finally come and past. First off, let me just say that it was probably one of the best overall cards that I have ever seen since ordering PPV fights back in 2004. It was also the first time in a long time that I was correct in picking all of the main card fights.

Alan Belcher got ROBBED against Yoshihiro Akiyama via decision and that is the only reason why I went 5 out of 5 lol. Its messed up, but hey, IMO if you don't want to take the chance of judges screwing you....you should have finished the fight.

I am finally 100% a GSP fan. That dude is ridiculous and in my opinion he is the best pound for pound fighter in the world, in any weight class.

Disagree? Here is why...

  • The 170 pound division is probably the most talent rich weight class in the UFC. There isn't another weight class that has more legit contenders to compete against.
  • Secondly, GSP has taken ALL challengers. Fedor on the other hand has the better record and is consider to be the best pound for pound fighter in the world by numerous people, but he doesn't take on all challengers. He isn't consistently testing his ability against the best fighters in his weight class.
  • Lastly, it is my opinion that the list of "the best pound for pound" fighters should be ranked more heavily for their current accomplishments, not just their career ones. GSP has defended his title against the best welterweights in the world minus Jake Shields (Strikeforce). Fedor's last opponent that was any sort of threat was Andrei Arlovski....nough said.

Whats Next??

Its a lock that GSP and Anderson Siliva are going to fight each other in 2010.

Also, Dana White stated "Fedor will be in the UFC" at the post-fight conference on Saturday night. I really would be surprised if that happens. Dana does have to find someone to challenge that over sized bulldog that is foaming at the mouth with rabies. (Brock Lesnar)

I'm OUT

3 comments:

Fish said...

I think you're forgetting about Anderson Silva in that discussion. I think you can definately add GSP to the discussion, but you can't dismiss his loss to Matt Serra.

I think Fedor is not in UFC for business/personal reasons, not ducking top competition. Do I think he would beat Brock? Tough to say. . .

P said...

I do not think its a given that Silva and GSP will fight in 2010.

Silva only has 3 fights left on his contract (one of which being Forrest Griffen) and I think he needs to fight Hendo again and probably the winner of Marquardt vs Maia.

That's if he doesn't make a full time move to LHW.

Gsp will be giving up a lot of weight and reach in that fight and I don't think it makes business sense to have your 2 poster boys tarnish each others record (one of them has to lose)
It definitely will not happen unless Anderson Silva gets a new contract, the UFC wont want him to beat GSP and walk to a different org.

WTFspaghetti said...

UFC won't let Anderson Silva go to another org. They will definitely renew his contract. The only way that GSP and Silva will not fight is if he moves weight classes, retires, or Hendo beats him.

All unlikely